- Planning Committee
SECTION 1: Farming the Forest for Specialty Forest Products: From Production to Marketing
- Farming the Forest in Agroforestry Systems: An Overview. Bruce C. Wright.
- From Wildcrafting to Intentional Cultivation: The Potential for Producing Specialty Forest Products in Agroforestry Systems in Temperate North America. Wayne S. Teel and Louise E. Buck.
- Social Values of Specialty Forest Products to Rural Communities. Marla R. Emery.
- Indigenous Use of Non-Timber Forest Products by the Guidar of Northern Cameroon (Poster Abstract). Steven Olson.
- Developing Special Forest Products Markets for Nonindustrial Private Forest Land Owners. Jim Freed.
- Menominee Forest Past and Present (Paper Abstract). Steven J. Arnold.
- Multiple Benefits of Arid Land Agroforestry Home Gardens and Riparian Ecosystems. Peter F. Ffolliott.
- Forest Farming in British Columbia. Richard D. Hallman, Jill Hatfield, and Harold E. Macy.
- Exploring and Valuing Urban Non-Timber Forest Products (Poster Abstract). Melanie Bode.
SECTION 2: Medicinals and Botanicals
- Medicinals and Dietary Supplements: Specialty Forest Products with a Long Tradition. Jim Chamberlain and A.L. Hammett.
- Balancing Conservation with Utilization: Restoring Populations of Commercially Valuable Medicinal Herbs in Forests and Agroforests. Richard A. Cech.
- Assessing and Developing New Markets for Ethnobotanicals and General Medicinals. Trish Flaster.
- Growing American Ginseng in its Native Woodland Habitat. W. Scott Person.
- Producing and Marketing Wild Simulated Ginseng in Forest and Agroforestry Systems. Andy Hankins.
- Large-Scale Contract Growing of Medicinals and Botanicals in Agroforestry Systems. Edward Fletcher.
- On-Farm Hedgerow Production of Certified Organic Medicinal Plant Materials (Poster Abstract). Dean Hively.
SECTION 3: Handicrafts, Specialty Woods and Decorative Florals
- Using Resource Inventories to Determine the Potential for Non-Timber Forest Product Production. John Krantz and Shelby G. Jones.
- Specialty Wood & Wood Products for Handicraft Markets. Shelby G. Jones.
- What is it Craft Buyers Want? Results of a Nationwide Survey. Pamela J. Brown.
- Finding a Buyer in the Wholesale Market. Pamela J. Brown.
- Christmas Trees: Plantations to Agroforestry Systems. Richard D. Hallman.
- Profitable Crops for Unlikely Places: Producing Handicraft and Floral Products in Riparian Agroforestry Buffer Zones. (Paper Abstract). Bruno Moser.
- Value Added Processing/Marketing of Forest Based Florals: Workshop Notes. (Paper Abstract). Don Mitchell and Cherie Mitchell.
- Designer Pine Straw Mulch: Biology, Production, and Marketing (Paper Abstract). C.A. Blanche and H.F. Carion.
SECTION 4: Forest Based Food Products
- Producing Forest-Based Food Products in Permaculture Systems. Mark L. Shepard.
- Will the Big Bad Wolf Get Food Poisoning From Grandma's Cooking? Joellen M. Feirtag.
- Emerging Business Produces and Markets North Dakota Fruit Products. (Poster Abstract). Marcus Jackson.
- The Potential of Hybrid Hazelnuts in Agroforestry and Woody Agricultural Systems. Philip A. Rutter.
- Regeneration Management of Oak and Associated Wild Forages. (Poster Abstract). James. J. Zaczek.
- Pollination and Honey Production in the Forest and Agroforest. Deborah B. Hill.
- Flower Collection for Pollen Production. (Paper Abstract). Barry Jones.
- Farming Forest Fungi for Added Income. (Paper Abstract). Joseph Krawczyk.
- Marketing: The Key to a Successful Shiitake Mushroom Business. Don Schoepski.
- Notes on Shiitake Mushroom Production and Marketing. (Letter from Andy Hankins).
- What do we Still Need to Know About Commercial Production of Forest-Grown Specialty Fungi? Johann N. Bruhn.
- Log Culture of Auricularia polytricha Utilizing Different Woody Substrates in Hawaii. (Poster Abstract). N.S. Dudley and S. Schenck.
SECTION 5: The Unique Challenges of Producing and Marketing Specialty Forest Products
- Decisions...Decisions...Decisions: Considerations for Starting a Natural Resource-Based Enterprise. Jonathan S. Kays.
- Improving the Success of Natural Resource-Based Enterprises. Jonathan S. Kays.
- Designing Marketing Plans for Specialty Forest Products. Clyde Vollmers and Stacy Vollmers.
- Creating Marketing Support for Specialty Forest Products. Clyde Vollmers and Stacy Vollmers.
- Weaving Sustainability into a Cooperative Network. Christina Johnson.
- Building Cooperative Networks. Christina Johnson.
- Wholesale and Direct Marketing of Specialty Forest Products. Jennifer-Claire V. Klotz.
- Marketing Specialty Forest Products in the Southeast: Opportunities for Research, Education, and Outreach. (Poster Abstract). A.L. Hammett and James L. Chamberlain.
- Non-Timber Forest Products in Central Appalachia: Market Opportunities for Rural Development. (Poster Abstract). A.L. Hammett and James L. Chamberlain.
- The Formation of the Minnesota Agro-Forestry Cooperative (Poster Abstract). Joe Dooley.
SECTION 6: Emerging Issues in Forest Farming for Specialty Forest Products
- The Role and Importance of Regional and National Trade Associations in Marketing Specialty Forest Products. Charlie Touchette.
- Opportunities and Limitations for the Certification of Non-Timber Forest Products from Well-Managed Forests. Alan R. Pierce.
- Specialty Forest Products in the Forest: Integrating Special Products Into Ecosystems and Landscape Management. John R. Davis.
- The World Wide Web: An Emerging Technology for Marketing Special Forest Products. A.L. Hammett, Shelby Jones, and Phil Araman.
SECTION 7: Conference Summary
- Conference Summary. Bruce C. Wight and Melvin J. Baughman.
- 1998 Conference Registrants.